Tuesday 12 August 2014

FAQs

So as soon as any of my students realise that I am from England, I am bombarded with questions about my life back home, and how I am finding South Africa. Some questions are more common than others. I have noted the most frequently asked and most interesting questions. I thought you might find some of them entertaining, although others are a little bizarre and in some cases worrying!

“Have you met the Queen?”

“Are there black people in England?”

 “Are there townships in England?”

“Do you have Facebook?”

“Do you have black friends in England?”

“Can I have your number?”

“Have you met Beyonce?”

“Do you celebrate Thanksgiving?”

“Have you heard of Nelson Mandela?”

“Have you been inside a shack?”

“Do they have STIs in England?” which, after my response, was shortly followed by “Is it only the black people that have AIDS? Is AIDS racist?” I think (or rather hope) this student was joking!

“Have you tried Pap?” – Pap is a staple food here in South Africa. It is made from maize and is most comparable with porridge.

“Do you have a boyfriend?”

“What sort of music do you listen to?”

“Don’t you want a nice South African boy? They’re strong, big men with big feet.” I really struggled to keep a straight face after this one. My grade 12s sure know how to wind me up!

“Have you heard of 50 Cent?”

“Can I come and visit?”

“How old are you?” This is one question I refuse to answer, and continue to leave them guessing. Some of their answers are particularly interesting; they range from 14 to 29 years of age!

“Can I go back with you to England in your suitcase?”

“Can I touch your hair?”

“What date is it in England?” – which starts a very long explanation of time differences, seasons and the fact that the months are the same everywhere in the world.

“When is Christmas in England?”

“Can I have a look at some English money?”

“How much do things cost in England?”

“Do you have milk in England?” I think this questioned stemmed from that fact that this student didn't appreciate that we have cows in England.

“Can I take a selfie with you?”

“What does Rachel mean?” How can I face telling my students, whose names all translate to words such as “Hope”, “Gift”, “Precious”, “Love” and “Brightness”,  that my  name is simply the word for a ewe in Hebrew?

“Do you have children?”

“Can I have your hair?”

No comments:

Post a Comment